Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Visa Processing

Processing of Fiancé(e) Visas 

How do I apply?

The first step in applying for a fiancé(e) visa is for the U.S. Citizen fiancé(e) (the petitioner) to file a petition on Form I-129F with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) having jurisdiction over his/her place of residence in the U.S. Note: The petition can only be filed with the USCIS in the U.S.; it cannot be filed at this Embassy.

What happens to the approved petition?

The approved petition is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, for additional processing before being forwarded to the Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the fiancé(e) visa applicant's place of residence (in case of Polish or Belarusian applicants it is Warsaw).

How long will the application take to process?

The period of time it will take to process the application will vary with each individual's circumstances. When filing the petition, form I-129F, with the USCIS, your fiancé(e) should ask how long the petition will take to be approved.
Note: A petitioner may search for the status of a pending case online at the USCIS website.

When may I schedule my visa interview at the Embassy?

Once the Embassy receives the petition, we will send a letter to advise the applicant about their eligibility to schedule the appointment for the formal visa interview. This letter will also contain information regarding:

  • medical examination
  • required documents, police certificate included (in addition to supplying a police certificate from the present place of residence, the applicant must also present police certificates from any place or places of residence for 6 months or more since attaining the age of 16)
  • required K visa fee to be paid before scheduling the interview through the online payment or personally at a bank in Poland. Please check your payment options.
  • selection of the visa pick-up location
  • Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application to be completed online for each applicant.

The appointment should be scheduled online at

In order to schedule your interview online you should follow the steps below:

  1. Register online at
  2. Pay your K visa fee using one of the following options: online payment with a debit card/PolCard, online banking transfer (applicant’s own bank) or cash at Bank (applicant’s own bank), cash at bank - Bank Pocztowy Branch in Poland. Please check your visa fee payment options
  3. Complete online form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application and print out the confirmation page.
  4. Schedule a K visa interview appointment at the Embassy online at You can do it immediately after you pay the visa fee online, or the day after the payment is done in person at Bank Pocztowy. You will need the receipt number printed on your receipt.
  5. Choose your visa pick-up location. You can choose either Premium Delivery (for additional 24 PLN paid directly to TNT on delivery to your home address in Poland) or you can select a TNT pick-up location before you come for your interview. This service is free of charge. Details on passport delivery are available at . For non-residents (for example Belarusian citizens) the designated visa pick-up location is the TNT office in Warsaw, 19 Annopol Street.
  6. Print your appointment confirmation letter and bring it with you to the Embassy.

Can I work in the U.S.?

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may grant permission for the fiancé(e) visa holder to take up employment in the U.S. before the marriage takes place. To obtain employment authorization, file form I-765 with the USCIS Service Center which covers the place of residence in the U.S after arrival there. Questions concerning employment should be directed to USCIS.

You can read more detailed information on the immigrant visa interview

Updated: October 2013

back to top ^