Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child's U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport and entering school. Although the application forms and final documents are the same everywhere, our embassies and consulates have different procedures to get them. If you have not done so already, check your local post website to learn the local rules. Our Embassies and Consulates will need you to make an appointment for this service.

No matter where you apply, some things are the same in every country outside the United States. Here is what is standard everywhere:

Application Forms

You will use the same application form -(the DS-2029)- no matter where you apply for the "Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)." Here is a link to the DS-2029 form: (345KB)

Supporting Documents

You will need all of the following:

  • The child's foreign birth certificate. Please note that you need to bring the long version of the Polish birth certificate (Odpis zupe┼ény aktu urodzenia). All documents not originally in English must be accompanied by an official English translation.
  • Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Your current passport is the preferred form of proof. Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.
  • Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. Your child's birth certificate with both parents' names on it is the best form of proof. If two parents are listed on the birth certificate, but only one parent is filing the application for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad in person, he or she must bring an original or certified copy of an identity document (passport or a Polish national ID) of the other parent at the time of the application.
  • If you are married, we need to see proof. If you have prior marriages, we need to see proof of how those marriages ended.
  • A statement from either U.S. citizen parent and evidence that she/he lived in the U.S. long enough to transmit citizenship to her/his child. The statement you give is called an Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support.

Here is a link to the form: (281KB)

The Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support (Form DS-5507) should be completed and submitted when a U.S. citizen parent transmitting citizenship to the child is not present at the time of the application.

How long is long enough? That will depend on whether the parents are married, and whether one or both is a U.S. citizen. Learn more about transmitting citizenship and DNA testing

How you prove you were physically present will depend a lot on your situation. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. Some examples of acceptable evidence include school transcripts, old passports, income tax returns, utility bills in the name of the parent, employment records, military records, and or medical records. The more you can provide, the easier it will be for the consular officer to approve the CRBA.


We charge fees for this service. The current fee is 100 USD. 


  • Appointments

    Appointments are required for all routine services.

    Passports, Extra Pages, Reports of Birth, Notarials, Inquiries
    Make an Appointment

    Security Screening
    All applicants must clear
    the security screening before entering the Consular Section. There are strict rules on what items may enter the Embassy. Please carefully review the rules explained here.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.